CALIFORNIA ASSESSMENT OF STUDENT PERFORMANCE AND PROGRESS
What is CAASPP?
CAASPP or California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress is the State of California’s system for monitoring student academic progress for students in third through twelfth grade. The primary purpose of CAASPP is to assist teachers, administrators, pupils and parents by promoting high-quality teaching and learning through the use of a variety of assessment approaches and item types. CAASPP is comprised of the following:
Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments: Computer-based tests in English language arts (ELA) and mathematics that are administered to students in grades three through eight, and grade eleven. The Smarter Balanced Assessment System utilizes computer-adaptive tests and performance tasks that allow students to show what they know and are able to do. This system is based on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics. The computer-adaptive section includes a range of item types such as selected response, constructed response, table, fill-in, graphing, etc. The performance tasks are extended activities that measure a student’s ability to integrate knowledge and skills across multiple standards—a key component of college and career readiness.
The California Alternate Assessment (CAA): Computer-based tests in English–language arts and mathematics that are administered to students who qualify in grades three through eight, and grade eleven.
Science Assessments: Paper-pencil tests that include the California Standards Test (CST), California Alternate Performance Assessment (CAPA) and the California Modified Assessment (CMA) and are administered to students in grades five, eight, and ten. The CST, CMA, and CAPA are based on the California content standards for science adopted by the State Board of California in October 1998. Science assessments based on the Next Generation Science Standards, adopted in September 2013, are not yet available.
For more information regarding CAASPP, visit http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/.
- CAASPP (California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress) Website – The official website for the State of California.
- CAASPP Student Score Report Information
- Sample 2015–16 CAASPP Student Score Report
- Versión en Español—Muestra del reporte individual de los resultados 2015–16 de CAASPP
- Guides to Understanding the CAASPP Student Score Report
- “Understanding the CAASPP Student Score Report” VIDEO (5 min.)
- “Entendiendo el Reporte de Puntuación del Estudiante del 2015–16” VIDEO (8 min.
- Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments Guides for Parents –Guides for parents and guardians to help interpret the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) student score report and Smarter Balanced Assessments.
- CAASPP Results
For more information, please contact Data and Assessment.